Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the Web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Mobile Results Have New Expandable Sitelinks
Google’s mobile search results has a new design for the sitelinks; they now are expandable to show more options.
- 7 Steps To Semantic Content Excellence
What is semantic content optimization, why do you need it, and how can you implement it? Columnist Eric Enge answers these questions and more.
- The Rise of Video: 8 Tips to Boost Your Site’s SEO With Video
Columnist Wesley Young takes a look at the Local Search Association’s latest research on how consumers respond to video ads — and how local businesses can take advantage of this effective marketing tool.
- Need Help Explaining Local Search? Use Pizza!
Many small business owners know that they need to invest in local search engine optimization (SEO), but most have no idea how it works — So columnist Greg Gifford came up with this simple metaphor to help explain it.
- Google: Going Mobile Only Is Fine For Our Search Results
Google said if you have a mobile-friendly website only, it should also rank just fine in the desktop Google search results.
- The Biggest Week In Search Marketing Hits The Big Apple
SMX East returns to NYC Sept. 28–Oct. 1 to cover the latest trends in SEO, search advertising, social media and digital marketing tactics.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Livefyre Enables Ads In Comment Threads
- Top 10 Video Creators In July: BuzzFeed Video Still Most Popular Across All Platforms
- For Major Publishers, Facebook Referral Traffic Passes Google Again
- Hornitos Takes Virgin Agave Skydiving In #NotJustAnyAgaves Social Campaign
- Pinterest Snags Monetization Product Manager From Twitter
- The Customer Experience Is Everyone’s Business
- Why Conversion Rate Isn’t The Whole Story: Using Customer Data To Predict Value And Optimize Media Spend
- Comcast Readies YouTube Rival As It Seeks To Diversify Beyond Cable Distribution
Search News From Around The Web:
- Expedia Extends Termination Date for Orbitz Deal, Wall Street Journal
- Google Gets Extension From EU Antitrust Authority On Search Distortion Case, ibtimes.com
- Google’s unprecedented shopping spree, Washington Post
Local & Maps
- Chinese street maps out of alignment in Google Earth and Google Maps, Google Earth Blog
- Google’s Local Snack Pack Shake-Up: What You Need to Know, Moz
- How To Use Majestic.com to Review Your Disavow File, Bill Hartzer
- 8chan-hosted content disappears from Google searches, Ars Technica
- Through the Google Lens: Search Trends August 8-14, Official Google Blog
- Does Making a Website Mobile-Friendly Have a Universally Positive Impact on Mobile Traffic?, moz.com
- One Year after Moving to HTTPs, Bill Hartzer
- 3 Growth Hacking Strategies for Bloggers to Quadruple Their Blog Traffic without SEO, ProBlogger
- How Google Decide Which Images to Show For Entities in Knowledge Panels, SEO By The Sea
- Google On Lazy Loading Content On Mobile Sites, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Says They Do Have Algorithmic Diagnosis Tools, Search Engine Roundtable
- Is the Google Phantom 2 Update based more on user experience?, State of Digital
- The New Era of SEO: Optimize for People Before Searchbots, Top Rank Blog
- Why Should Web Publishers Consider Mobile Apps? – Here’s Why with Mark & Eric, Stone Temple
SEM / Paid Search
- Super-Segmentation For Quality Score, PPC Hero
- #NoHacked: Identifying and Diagnosing Injected Gibberish URL Hacking, Official Google Webmaster Central Blog
The post SearchCap: Google Mobile Only, Video Rise & Expanding Sitelinks appeared first on Search Engine Land.