Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- What Does It Mean To Be “Search Marketer of the Year”?
Learn more about the two awards to be presented for Male and Female Search Marketer of the Year at the inaugural Search Engine Land Awards event in NYC. Details about how to nominate a stellar search marketer included.
- Sophos Uncovers Mass Link Spam In Google’s Search Results Via Cloaked PDFs
Hackers use PDF documents to inject links and keywords and — through cloaking techniques — scam searchers to go to other web sites.
- “Great Price” Messaging Spotted In Google Shopping Ads
Follows on other recent value price messaging tests spotted in PLAs.
- Google Reports A 41% Growth In Mobile Searches For Movie Showtimes
According to a recent study, Google found 74% of moviegoers search online for showtimes, with 56% of the searches happening on mobile.
- Planting The Seeds For An Evergreen Content Strategy
Columnist Patrick Stox explains how to create an evergreen content strategy based on keyword insights to capture searchers at various points in the conversion funnel.
- Google Maps Hides Search Bar, HERE Struggles To Sell
Google Maps has made some minor changes that improve usability, while Nokia appears to be struggling to sell its mapping service HERE. Google Maps now will hide the search bar on the top and explore bar on the bottom of the map screen to create a larger visual field. One tap causes those bars to […]
- The Emerging Role Of SEO In App Discoverability
In the old days, search engine optimization (SEO) was all about web pages — however, as columnist Janet Driscoll Miller points out, the growth of mobile means that SEOs must now focus on getting apps indexed, too.
- Report: US Paid Search Spend Up 22 Percent In Q2, Google Regains Share Losses
Mobile continues to drive growth with smartphone spend up 71 percent year-over-year.
- PPC Trademark Bidding In Q1 Fell Sharply After The Holidays; Highest In Home Services Industry
Study finds rates of brand bidding highest on Bing desktop/tablet, but lowest on Bing Mobile.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- No Longer Twitter Exclusive, Meerkat Moves Closer To Facebook
- Q2 Report: Ad Spend On Facebook FBX Outpaced Google Display
- Microsoft CEO Nadella Rebukes Ballmer With Nokia Write-Down
- Energize Your AdWords Campaigns With Call Analytics – July 22 Webcast
- Using Second-Party Data To Expand Reach & Improve Your Retargeting
- Facebook Lets People Choose What They See First In The News Feed
- Top 5 Summer Movie Trailers: Google Says 81% Of People Who Watched A Trailer Online Saw It On YouTube
- 7 Signs CMOs Need To Examine Their Media Mix
- 3 Design Best Practices That Web Designers And Conversion Optimizers Can Agree Upon
- Advertisers Keep Running Flash Ads On Mobile Even Though It’s Almost Never Supported
Search News From Around The Web:
- Reinventing Google for a Mobile World, The New York Times
Local & Maps
- Google Issues Guidelines For Google Maps Business Authorized Representatives, Search Engine Roundtable
- Two New York City Council Members Want Google Maps to Discourage Left Turns, CityLab
- 6 Linking Techniques That Will Help Your Content Get Ranked, Found, and Read, Content Marketing Institute
- 90 SEO Experts Talk White Hat Link Building, Outsourcing And Scaling, Ahrefs Blog
- Bing Suggesting Brands For Highly Competitive Unbranded Search Queries, The SEM Post
- Did you mean…?, DuckDuckGo Blog
- 10 Team Training Ideas to Keep Your SEO Team Rockin, KoMarketing
- Engagement as a ranking factor. My best arguments for it., 90 Digital
- Google Defends Statements About Testing & Experimenting To Learn, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google News Publisher Newsletter #2, Search Engine Roundtable
- Life After Mobilegeddon, SEMrush Blog
- The Selfless Approach to SEO, Seer Interactive
SEM / Paid Search
- 5 ROI-Improving Campaign Types You’ve Never Tried, PPC Hero
- Do Users Actually Read Your Text Ads?, PPC Hero
The post SearchCap: Google PDF Spam, Paid Search Up & Mobile Movie Times appeared first on Search Engine Land.