Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google: FIFA Women’s World Cup Results Are For Android-Only
Want scores in the FIFA Women’s World Cup? On Android, Google makes it easy. For desktop & iOS, it’s doing nothing special — unlike for the men’s tournament in 2014.
- Bing To Encrypt Searches By Default & Referrer Data To Go Not Provided This Summer
Not Provided is about to expand when Bing goes HTTPS over the summer, ultimately blocking query data in the referrer path.
- Google Says More Than Half Of Its UK Searches Are Performed On Mobile
Managing director and VP of sales and operations for Google UK-Ireland reports mobile search volume has overtaken desktop in the UK.
- 5 Questions To Identify Missed Opportunities In Your PPC Account
Think you’ve maximized your PPC potential? Think again. Columnist Pauline Jakober points out some growth opportunities search advertisers may be neglecting.
- Only AdWords Editor 11 Will Be Supported At End Of June
Versions 10.6 and older will sunset June 30th.
- Search Marketers: The 4 New Expectations Of You In A Cross-Channel World
Columnist Josh Dreller notes that siloed marketing departments are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Search marketers, are you ready to embrace this cross-channel reality?
- Google Drops The Thumbtack Link Penalty In Less Than A Week After It Was Issued
Google Capital backed Thumbtack’s link penalty only lasted a week and now they are ranking just as well in Google. SEOs are calling this unfair.
- Google Testing “Slow To Load” Warning Label In Mobile Search Results
Google once again testing slow labels in the mobile search results, this one is “Slow to load” with a yellow warning sign.
- For FIFA Women’s World Cup, Google Gives Women Less Space Than Men
For the men’s tournament, Google was quick with special boxes to highlight results. For the women’s tournament, the boxes are often missing.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Facebook Gives Top Creative Awards To Ice Bucket Challenge, Always’ “Like a Girl” Campaigns
- Coca-Cola Will Donate $1 For Every Social Media Share This #ReachUp Special Olympics Video Receives
- Customers On Demand: Working Your Public Relations “Hit List,” Part 1
- How I Came To Work For A Killer: An Online Reputation Fable
- Top Tools To Jumpstart Your Content Creation & Keep It Going
- Why Learnings From The ‘90s Banner Ad Still Apply Today
- Come To SMX East As A Team & Save. Let The Learning Begin!
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google UK Says More Mobile Searches Than Desktop & More YouTube Views On Mobile, Search Engine Roundtable
- Man interviewing at Google receives personal note from company after his sister died, Daily Mail Online
Local & Maps
- First Brain Computing and the Mouse Cursor for the Physical World, stevecheney.com
- Why We Need to Move From Building Links to Building Online Visibility?, State of Digital
- Through the Google lens: Search trends June 6-11, Official Google Blog
- App indexing will fix app search, but Google and Apple are using it differently, The Next Web
- After Three Years In Development, Mobli Unveils Real-Time Image Search Engine EyeIn, TechCrunch
- Quotes Card in Google Search, Google Operating System
- Search Takes Publishers Beyond ‘Show Me’ The Image In EyeIn, MediaPost
- 7 Things To Remember About Rel=Canonical, White.net
- How to Prevent Black Hat SEO Techniques Against Your Vulnerable Website, ProBlogger
- Google Updates Breadcrumbs Documentation But Says Hyperlinks Not Coming Back, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google: Domain Name Search Engine Registration Is A Scam, Search Engine Roundtable
- How Google May Choose Sitelinks in Search Results Based upon Visual or Functional Significance, SEO By The Sea
- SEOs and CEOs: How to Explain SEO to Executives #semrushchat, SEMrush Blog
- Study: 300 Google Sitelinks Search Boxes – Triggers and Trip-Ups Analyzed, Moz
- What You Need to Know about SEO for New Websites, ignitevisibility.com
- Why Do Google Employees Keep Spreading False Information on HTTPS?, SEO Theory
SEM / Paid Search
- 9 Metrics You Should Care About More Than Rankings, SEMrush Blog
- Micro-Moments: Google on the New Consumer Behavior, The SEM Post
- What Marketers Can Learn From The New York Times Mobile Only Experiment, The SEM Post
The post SearchCap: Thumbtack Google Penalty Reversed. Bing To Go Not Provided & Google Slow Label Returns appeared first on Search Engine Land.